What is the difference between viewing an ebook online and checking it out?
Viewing an Ebook Online:
When you view an ebook online you read the book using your internet browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Safari. You might need to login in order to view the ebook, but you won't need to create any accounts or install any special software.
Downloading or Checking out an Ebook:
When you download or check out an ebook you may need to create multiple accounts and install special software on your computer or mobile device.
For Example: To download (checkout) an ebook from EBSCOhost you must:
- Create or have an EBSCOhost account (free)
- Create or have and Adobe Account (free)
- Have or Install Adobe Digital Editions on your desktop or laptop computer (free software)
- Have or Install the Bluefire Reader app from Itunes or the AppStore (free app)
- Have or Install the Aldiko Reader app from the Google Play Store (free app)
If you download (checkout) and ebook then no one else may view that ebook until your loan period has expired (7 or 14 days)